Our church invites all to its
services, usually every
Sunday, morning or evening. Visitors to the area are especially welcome,
and children will enjoy the family services.
There are suggestions, based on the sun-dial on Bewcastle Cross,
that there may have been a monastic cell in the remains of the Roman fort.
If the 7th century cross is in its original position, then there may
well have been a religious building here at that time.
The earliest recorded church dates from 1277, though
only the east end remains. Building material was taken directly from the roman fort
remains. The present church was rebuilt in 1792, and past rectors have included successful reivers,
clearly identifying closely with their flock.
Legend has it that only
women were buried in Bewcastle - the men were hanged in Carlisle!
The graveyard contains many interesting illustrations
and the names of the more notable border reivers clans -
Armstrong, Elliott, Nixon & Routledge, the oldest surviving dating
from 1698. A full survey of the inscriptions is published
on this website.
The 7th Century Bewcastle Cross is preserved in its original position. A small museum is
on the south side of the graveyard.
The church was altered to its present form in 1901,
and a millennium/centenary window added in 2001. Local guides, postcards and
souvenirs are available inside the church. Saint Cuthbert's continues to bring
parishioners and visitors together in worship.
The newsletter, including times of services,
is available on-line here.
Services during Philip's sabatical are published here.
With its small congregation, the church welcomes
contributions for its continuing upkeep. Those wishing to make donations
to this fine border church should send them to:
Bewcastle Parochial Church Council
For those paying UK tax who wish to Gift Aid
their contributions, the church receives an extra 28 pence for each
pound. A form for this is