Remember the evening of opera in Bewcastle last year? We’re at it again but this time we’re featuring more local talent!
On Sunday the 12th of May at 5 pm the acclaimed Solway Singers will offer us a programme of music from composers like Brahms (his delightful Love Song Waltzes) and from British composers like Elgar and Rutter, even a rendition of Parry’s famous hymn, Jerusalem.
James Booth, from as close by as West Hall, is a classical guitarist and he will take centre stage for a short while during the concert.
Join us for this short concert for only £10. You can also take tea with Bishop John and Felicity-Anne from 4 pm beforehand for an additional £5.
Bag your tickets today by calling 106977 48311 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Bewcastle in North Cumbria is an isolated village steeped in Roman and Border history. The church, farm, and castle occupy the site of a Roman out post fort which guarded the Maiden Way, the main Roman road north from Birdoswald on Hadrian’s Wall some 10km (6 miles) to the south.
The fort was dedicated to a local deity, Cocidius, and is unusual in having six sides, rather than the more usual rectangle or square. The fort was probably built around 122AD and occupied until AD 343. Bewcastle Cross is said to be the finest Anglican Cross in Europe. Dating from the 7th century, it is dedicated to Alcfrith, son of Oswiu,King of Northumberland who ruled from 641 – 670 AD
The stone castle was constructed between 1340 and 1360 using much material from the old Roman fort. During the 15th and 16th century it provided sanctuary for locals during Scottish raids. This area was much fought over by the Border Reivers; feuding, lawless, local families who raided each others farms taking livestock, goods, and possessions.
To protect themselves families built peel towers and Bastle houses. The old reiver family names survive today: Armstrong, Graham, Elliot, Musgrave and Nixon.Click here to visit the Bewcastle Museum